Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Never doubt that your steps are ordered!

The steps of a [good] man are directed and established by the Lord when He delights in his way [and He busies Himself with his every step].
Psalm 37:23 (Amplified Bible)

So it's that time again. The time when Mrs. Holiday is about to hand the baton over to Mr. School(Not a very happy time for many but I'm excited because I'm convinced that this semester will be amazing!). I had bought my bus ticket online the night before I was going back to school. It was from Hartford, Connecticut to Amherst, Massachusetts and was scheduled to leave Hartford at 3:30pm and arrive Amherst at 5:00pm. Most times, this journey takes around three hours due to the changeovers and stops the bus makes, so I was glad that this one would only last for an hour, thirty minutes.
I was asked to pick up my ticket at least one hour before my departure time; that meant, preferably, before 2:30pm.

My aunty had an appointment that day but surprisingly, she got back much earlier than I had expected. She suggested we leave the house at 1:30 because it was raining rather heavily and she wanted to be sure we would get to the station before 2:30. This was a rational decision that many people would have made given the prevailing conditions. Looking back however, I sense it was much more than human rationality at work. I have a feeling my Father might have caused it to rain because he knew it would get His daughter out of the house earlier than normal. My Father is a Master planner!!
I picked up my ticket at 2:10 and prepared myself for the wait. Shortly after, a man announced that there was a bus outside that was ready to leave and would be making stops at several locations, one of which was Springfield (I was to make a stop at Springfield before continuing on to Amherst). I told him I was going to Amherst and asked if I could go with the bus since it was going my way. The man nodded and said, "That's your bus".

So I got on the bus, committed the journey to God, thanking Him for getting me on an earlier bus and then I fell asleep. I woke up when we were almost at the first stop. The driver announced that we would be arriving at Hartford shortly. I was a bit puzzled; wasn't I coming from Hartford? I waited till we got to the station to see if I had heard the driver correctly- I had! Then I realized that I had taken the bus at New Haven and only just got to Hartford, which was about forty-five minutes away. That's why the ticket was so cheap! It wasn't for the whole journey. My real journey was
New Haven ->Hartford ->Springfield -> Amherst but I had mistakenly bought a ticket for Hartford ->Springfield ->Amherst instead. It was probably the bus I took from New Haven that was scheduled to leave Hartford at 3:30. So if I had waited for my 3:30 'Hartford -> Amherst' bus, I would have missed it because I would still have been in New Haven!
So even though I had the wrong ticket, my steps are so ordered by God that I got to the station at right time, got on the right bus and paid less for my journey! He paid the rest for me!!! What's more, He got me to the Amherst stop in time to get another bus that took me to my school! Glory!

I'm Christian because my Father delights in my steps so much that he busies himself planning and ordering them! I'm always in the right place at the right time! Praise God!

2 comments:

  1. I'm quite in awe of this blog and appreciate the fact that if I listen carefully, I can actually hear your Boss speaking. Keep up the good work, and I appreciate this piece a lot because I've been in very similar situations and know what it feels like for one's steps to be ordered.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. THE MIGHTY One, God, the Lord, speaks and calls the earth from the rising of the sun to its setting. (Psalm 50:1)
    We don't serve a God that cannot speak!!! Hallelujah! Sometimes we ask God to speak like He's been quiet all along but what we should do is train our ears to hear Him because He's talking all the time!
    Our steps are very much ordered by the creator of the universe -Our Father!
    Remain Blessed!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments below..