Tuesday, January 26, 2010

All His Promises are Yes and Amen!

For as many as are the promises of God, they all find their Yes [answer] in Him [Christ]. For this reason we also utter the Amen (so be it) to God through Him [in His Person and by His agency] to the glory of God.
(2 Corinthians 1:20)Amplified Bible

Sometime last year, I woke up to the sweet, unimagined whisper of Acts 1:8:
But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

If I had ever desired the Baptism of the Holy Ghost before, after this, the desire intensified. I waited and hoped every time I prayed that this would be the time of the "mighty rushing wind and cloven tongues of fire" like it was in Acts 2. When it didn't come, I would think, "maybe next time" or "maybe it'll come when I'm not expecting it". I smile as I look back; if only I had known to receive the Baptism by faith.
One of my friends had received the Holy Ghost Baptism and spoke in tongues. She kept encouraging me, telling me that the Baptism of the Holy Ghost was a gift - a free gift (it can't get freer than that!)- from God to all His children. I knew the Bible said so but I still didn't understand. When people would pray for me to receive the Holy Spirit, after praying, they would say something along the lines of: "Just speak" and in my mind, I would go, "I want to speak but speak what?!"
After a while I stopped seeking. I felt when God was ready, He would give it to me. I wish I had known that God had been ready ever since that Tuesday night, almost two years ago, I asked Him into my heart.

A few months short of a year since I heard the promise, I was on holiday in Baltimore with my cousin. My steps are truly ordered because when I decided to go to Baltimore, I did not know I was going to meet the most crazy-for-Jesus, on-fire-for-the-HolyGhost young men, I had ever met. I had fun in Baltimore! I never knew sharing God's word and praying till your eyes were red from crying could be fun but it was! (Note to reader: I had "regular fun" in Baltimore as well!).
These brethren (shout out to my BLW loves! God bless you!!) have such a knowledge of the Word of God and have close relationships with the Holy Spirit I have never really witnessed before in young people. I learned so much during my three weeks there. They made me feel right at home and I fitted in with perfectly with them. The only difference I can think of between them and me was that I was the only "English-talker" at prayers. All of them had received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues. They never made me feel like less of a Christian though (Speaking in tongues doesn't make you any more Christian than another believer who doesn't speak in tongues). Through them, the Holy Spirit opened my eyes to the benefits of speaking in tongues (I suggest you read 1st Corinthians 14 and Romans 8, especially from verses 20 -28).

My faith grew as I realized that the gift of tongues was for and beneficial to every Christian. I asked them to pray for me and they did. Like with previous attempts, I didn't notice anything. One of them- the one who had laid hands on me- said the Holy Spirit said He had already filled me. Though I had known this and had believed this for a while, I still couldn't understand why I wasn't speaking in tongues. I guess I was still waiting for the mighty rushing wind. Don't get me wrong, it is very possible to have a 'mighty rushing wind' type Baptism of the Holy Spirit but sometimes it may come as a whisper in your spirit or even in another way.
I continued waiting and building up my faith through the Word of God. In another meeting, another person laid hands on me and told me to speak. I waited, hoping for a voice to rise up within me. I heard nothing. In my heart, I was somewhat disappointed. I had thought this was the night!
These wonderful people of God encouraged me to take a step of faith. Quiet, I nodded in agreement though I was not really sure what this step of faith required.

The next day, 21st January 2010, was when I took the step of faith. I don't recall how exactly I took the step of faith but I remember we had been interceding for Haiti and for other places God has brought to our attention. That night, I felt the deep concern God has for his people. It was in this place I took a step of faith and one word in a heavenly tongue was all the Holy Spirit used to seal it in my heart that I was officially a tongue-talker!
That step of faith is necessary because though the Holy Spirit gives us utterance, we are the ones to speak (Acts 2:4).
Of course doubts came but I had a conviction in my heart and I chose to hold on to it.

It's been six days and I'm proud to say that I'm a tongue-speaking, fire-spitting, demon-casting, sickness-healing, Spirit-filled child of God through the Power of the Holy Spirit that works in me!

I'm Christian because God is good to me and has given me the gift of His Holy Spirit!

For more scriptures on speaking in tongues, see Acts 19:1-7, Acts 2:1-4, Mark 16:17.

Incase anyone is not clear about it, 'Holy Ghost' and 'Holy Spirit' refer to the same person: my Boss.

Jesus loves you and so do I,
✝Child of Promise♥

Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)
(Hebrews 10:23)

8 comments:

  1. WOW...this testimony is so exciting, you know! I thank God for His love for us and the liberality with which He gives us all things and most of all the person of the HolyGhost!!!

    Keep shining, sister!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TOlu!!! AKA Child Of Promise
    I love your testimony! I just read it, and boy! Am I inspired! Thank you so much for that testimony....so exciting. It was good to have you around too!! Now, you definitely have to stop by during spring break!..lol. I thank God for you - your life's a huge testimony! Keep listening to him, sister, as he teaches you things that no man has learnt!

    Evang. C.J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jesus Loves You!

    Thank you so much for being obedient to God's calling upon your life to establish this blog. I have only read one entry but I am in awe of the powerful way in which God has given you these testimonies and helped you put together this beautiful blog. Many lives will be touched!!! Obedience truly is better than sacrifice.

    "But Samuel replied: "Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the voice of the LORD? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams." 1 Samuel 15:22

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glorious, Glorious testimony cuz and awesomely written too!!! I thank God for the free gift of the Holy Spirit....He's my most treasured
    'asset'. Rejoice cos' its only the beginning, life with Him can only get better...Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to be His vessel! As I know Him more I'm more than glad to be used by Him!
    Many lives will be changed indeed! It's His job so I'm not worried!! I'll just keep being available! He'll do the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lola, it's only the beginning!! The Holy Spirit really is our most treasured asset!! Praise God!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just read this again and I luv it! May you relationship with God continue to get more intimate and grow rapidly too. God bless u darling! Luv u.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your comments below..