Saturday, February 20, 2010

He's never too far away!

And, behold, I send the promise of my father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.” [Luke 24:49]

Grew up a Pastor’s son and that helped a lot; but, until you experience God for yourself beyond “what I heard”, nothing has really begun. But, then came a book that revolutionized my walk with God. All the epiphany I needed to begin an experiential walk with God was unveiled through a book I came in contact with titled ‘Good Morning HolySpirit’.

On the day that I now write of, most of my high school confederates had gone home for a holiday - hardly remember what it was about. At this point, my schoolboy fascination with holidays had waned; my interests dwelled more in the control I thought I had over my life while I was in boarding school. Anyway, back to the day [more like a night it was since, once again, I hardly remember the day part of it] in itself.

I sat there in the large assembly hall all by myself with a book in my hand – one I didn’t want to finish and yet I couldn’t wait to consume entirely. I read, probably for hours, intently. With all my attention focused on that one book, the thought ran through my mind – this just has to be true. With tears in my eyes, a heart pounding in my chest, and my knees knocking together, I read the experiences of the healing minister, Benny Hinn, with the HolyGhost in the earlier parts of his life. He shared the understanding of God’s word, color, beauty, and substance introduced by this precious third person of the Godhead into his life. There was only one True reason why I believed all he wrote, and it was because of the witness. That same HolySpirit now stood there with me, telling me “yes, it is all true…and you too can know me the same way.”

Prior to this day, I had begun nurturing an interest in “something more”. I was never what many considered a bad guy – yet, I wasn’t righteous by their standards either. I had religion – so much of it that I got sick of it. And, by religion, I mean the routine of church, prayer, bible reading, and more of the stuff you may already know. For weeks before the day, I had pondered on the person of the HolySpirit. I took interest in the lives of those who lived the supernatural around me like Rev. Chris Oyakhilome. It may be important to know that, at that time, I had no idea I would ever be in Christ Embassy [presided over by Rev. Chris]. Erstwhile, a couple of alumni of my school had come to our school fellowship and spoken highly about the person, character, and power of the HolyGhost. I knew I had to have it; well, then I thought I was dealing with an “it”. Little did I know!

By the time I was done reading “Good Morning, HolySpirit”, the presence of the HolyGhost had so overwhelmed me. I had come to know that He is more than an “it”. I discovered He’s a rational being co-equal with God. That He is, in fact, the person of the Godhead that brings the Word of God to pass. Though I received the HolySpirit that same night, I did not know it till weeks after this experience. But, one thing was sure that night; I had received life. I didn’t mind telling everyone that I saw. I ran to where a dear friend was doing some laundry to explain my experience, and I am glad till this day that we ran from there together for the HolyGhost! There began my series of fortunate events.
-- St. Burnish

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments below..