Saturday, June 19, 2010

Epiphany…


I turned on my telly to watch the news today,
and cozied up in my resting chair,
From one channel to the next, it was all the same:
hatred, chaos, death and despair.
I averted my eyes; I knew I’d seen enough.
I pressed a little button; the telly zapped off…
“There’s none righteous on earth,” I thought; “no, not one.”
…I lingered on.


I stepped outside my house to take a walk today,
but froze when I heard something moan.
I searched; I looked and there behind my neighbor’s gate,
two boys pelted her poor dog with stones.
I averted my eyes, certain I’d seen enough.
Down the block, from where I stood, I spied the coffee shop…
“There’s none righteous on earth,” I thought; “no, not one.”
…I moved on.


I found myself at the city park today.
In the distance, an old lady was in tears.
Her wiry finger pointed at an approaching lad;
for in his hands, he was clutching her purse.
I averted my eyes; in my mind, I’d seen enough.
Pity stirred in my heart; I let out a dry cough…
“There is none righteous on earth,” I thought; “no, not one.”
…I walked on.


I sat behind my desk to read the Bible today,
and opened to “Hebrews” as guided by the Maker.
“Let brotherly love continue…”  Chapter 13 vs. 1 says
“…Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers.”
I thought back to my neighbor’s dog; its pain seared my thoughts…
I thought back to the stolen purse and the thief I could’ve easily caught…
I thought back to the news reports about which I didn’t pray…
I thought back to a suffering world, and efforts I’d refused to make…

I averted my eyes; you could tell I’d read enough.
My guilty conscience emerged; the blow it dealt me was rough.
“There’s none righteous on earth,” I thought; “no, not one.”
…I wept on.


--- Imago Dei 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments below..